Our History

20200708_103751.jpg

The 1920's and 30's
Our church had her beginnings in a tent revival in the Oakdale neighborhood. After the tent revival, a group felt that a church was needed in the neighborhood. They met at 803 Beecher, under a sweet gum tree with a dry goods box for a pulpit, and nail kegs and planks for pews. In 1926 the WMU bought the lots where our church stands and a building was erected the following year. Our church became a mission of Walnut Street Baptist Church, and then gained status as an independent church in 1934. During the 1937 flood, the church was used to house displaced families. On the eve of World War II, a building fund was begun for a new educational building. 
The 1940's
World War II took a total of 77 men into the service from our esembly. These meen were prayed for daily and all returned safely. By 1943, membership had reached 600, and in 1947 the cornerstone for a new educational building was laid. In 1948 Maurice Barnes was called as pastor, the parsonage was built, and the church began to be filled by "babyboomers"
The 1950's
The church rode the crest of the baby-boom, with attendance at over 600. In 1954 T.L. McSwain came as pastor, a mission was begun in Southern Indiana, and plans were made for a new sanctuary, which was dedicated in 1957.
The 1960's 70's & 80's
The church entered a long period of coping with the changing city. The Watterson Expressway divided our neighborhood and families began to move out in search of more room. The youth building across the street was built, was full, and then converted into space for South Louisville Community Ministries. Grady Nutt served as youth minister. The Riggs Activity Building was built in 1973, and the Golden Age Club was begun. Pastors included Victor Matiply, Bill Weedman, Steve Thompson, and Rich Hutchens. The church numbers declined, but vital ministry took place. In 1989 Dr.Clay Smith was called as pastor.
The 1990's & Beyond
In 1990, the church adopts four long range goals: To be an outreach-oriented congregation; to develop family oriented ministries; to build and strengthen believers; and to provide adequate space and facillities. Recreation ministry is revived under Ginny Reasor, Mother's Day Out is established; the children's and youth's classrooms are air conditioned; and the decline in membership is reversed. Now there awaits for us the chance to write a new chapter in our history, as we Crusade for the Future, to prepare our church for more years of fruitful ministry.